Archive: Feb 2020
All About Titanium Properties, Forms, and Applications
Titanium is a strong and lightweight metal that is highly resistant to corrosion and damage from high temperatures. Due to these key characteristics, it replaces use in a variety of structural applications across many industries, including aerospace, medical, and automotive. Additionally, as a transition metal, it easily bonds with other metals to produce useful lightweight alloys.
Forms of Titanium
Titanium is available in several different forms, including:
- Titanium sheets are manufactured in a variety of thicknesses and sizes and can be produced with pure titanium or alloys, as needed.
- Titanium plates are thicker than titanium sheets and can also be manufactured to various size specifications, with both pure titanium or alloys. Titanium sheets and plates are frequently used in the construction of aircraft exteriors.
- Titanium tubing are hollow cylindrical components of various diameters. They are often used in the construction of hydraulics for automotive and aerospace machinery and lightweight frames for high-performance bicycles and motor vehicles.
- Titanium round bars are highly versatile and can be manufactured to various specifications, from small wires for dental and surgical implants to larger bars for aerospace and automotive components.
- Titanium pipes are typically wider in diameter than tubes and are useful for the conveyance of corrosive liquid and gaseous substances, especially in systems exposed to high heat or pressure.
- Titanium wires are strong, non-corrosive, and flexible and can be used for orthodontic implants and joint reconstruction in the medical industry. As the base material is hypoallergenic and easily manipulated, titanium wire is also commonly used among jewelry makers.
- Titanium Powders are ideal for all additive manufacturing processes, such as Direct metal deposition (DED), Direct metal laser sintering (DMLS), Electron beam melting (EBM), Laser metal deposition (LMD), Metal injection molding (MIM), Selective laser melting (SLM).
Applications of Titanium
Due to its high strength-to-weight ratio and the ease with which it bonds with other metals, titanium, and its alloys are essential materials for a diverse set of industries, such as:
As it is lightweight and highly resistant to corrosion and heat, titanium is widely used throughout the aerospace industry for a variety of parts. For example:
- Titanium tubes are used to create lightweight airplane frames
- Titanium sheets and plates are used for exterior paneling
Some of the other typical aerospace components made from titanium include compressor blades, rotors, and engine components.
Mobile and Telecommunications
In the telecommunications industry, titanium dioxide has been increasingly employed as a nanoparticle spray to disinfect mobile phones. Additionally, when used in 3D printers, it produces powerful transmission devices capable of sending telecommunications signals across farther distances without losing quality.
Since titanium is highly resistant to corrosion, it is an excellent material for use in marine applications. It can be found in the hulls and rigging fixtures of boats and ships and is used to construct marine heat exchangers, structures, fasteners, and motor components.
The high strength, lightweight nature of titanium makes the material well-suited for use in automotive applications. It is used to construct automotive components such as exhaust pipes, engine valves, and mufflers.
Bizx Wires: A Quality Titanium Distributor in the USA with a Global reach
Titanium is a highly versatile material characterized by a superior strength-to-weight ratio, corrosion resistance, and suitability for a broad range of operating temperatures. We offer an array of Titanium grades to meet a diverse array of applications.
Commercially Pure Titanium Grades:
- Titanium CP4 – Grade 1
- Titanium CP3 – Grade 2
- Titanium CP2 – Grade 3
- Titanium CP1 – Grade 4
- Titanium Grade 7
- Titanium Grade 11 – CP Ti-0.15Pd
Titanium Based Alloys:
- Titanium Grade 5 – Titanium 6Al-4V
- Titanium Grade 6 – Titanium 5Al-2.5Sn
- Titanium Grade 9 – Titanium 3Al-2.5V
- Titanium Grade 12 – Ti-0.3-Mo-0.8Ni
- Titanium Grade 19 – Titanium Beta C
- Titanium Grade 23 – Titanium 6Al-4V ELI
- Titanium 6Al-6V-2Sn – Titanium 6-6-2
- Titanium 6Al-2Sn-4Zr-2Mo – Titanium 6-2-4-2
- Titanium 6Al-2Sn-4Zr-6Mo – Titanium 6-2-4-6
- Titanium 8Al-1Mo-1V – Titanium 8-1-1
- Titanium 10V-2Fe-3Al
- Titanium 15V-3Cr-3Sn-3Al
- Titanium Beta Alloys
- Titanium Alpha-Beta Alloys
At Bizx Wires, we provide the highest quality titanium in a variety of forms, including sheet, plate, tube and tubing, round bar, pipe, wire, and powder. For more information on our titanium product offerings, contact us or request a quote.